You might not even realize you are subconsciously being advertised too with native advertising, which is a form of advertising that matches the layout and function o the platform that it is appearing on. In most case, the advertisement functions as an advertorial and manifests as a video, article, or editorial piece. It’s referred to as native advertising because the native is coherent of the content with other media that appears on the platforms it is published on.
This type of advertising reduces a consumer’s ad recognition by blending the ad into the original substance of the platform, using somewhat ambiguous language, such as “sponsored” or “branded” content. Product placement, which is embedded marketing, is a precursor to native advertising.
Native advertising is will often be found on social media feeds or as recommended content on a webpage, and unlike display or banner ads, a native advertising ad does not look like a regular ad, they will look like the editorial flow of the page. The key to native advertising is that it comes across as non-disruptive as it exposes the reader to its advertising content without being obvious.
What Does This Type of Advertising Look Like?
- In Feed Ads – are ads that appear in your news feeds on your social media networks, such as Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. They look like a post from a follower, meaning they appear as regular content feed, and could be label a sponsored article.
- Search & Promoted Listings – these ad listings appear at the top of your Google search results or along the sidebar. They are generally located below the organic search results and have been sold to advertisers with a guarantee optimal placement on the search engine.
- Content Recommendation – these are recommended articles that appear below an item you just read. They are typically delivered through a widget and recognized by phrases such as, “you might also like,” “you might like,” “recommended for you,” and “from around the web.”
- Promoted listings – you will find promoted listings on websites that are not content-based, such as e-commerce sites, promoted listings are presented in a fashion with the products or services offered on the given site.
Contemporary format for native advertising, such as promoted videos, images, articles, commentary, and music, are being delivered by a native strategy that has been transferred to an online presence, where it is a similar concept of the traditional advertorials of publisher-produced branded content. Other methods of modern native advertising include search advertising. When ads appear alongside the search results, popular examples of this technique are Twitter promoted tweets and Facebook stories. The most traditional method of native advertisement is the placement of sponsored -funded content alongside editorial content or showing content that you might be interested in, which in fact, is sponsored by marketers alongside any editorial recommendations.
Native advertising platforms are split into two categories, usually referred to as “open” and “closed” platforms, but there are hybrid options that are being consumed with some regularity.
- Closed platforms – these platforms are created by brands for the function of promoting their content intrinsically on their website. Advertisements on these platforms will not be seen on others, as these ad types 65are generated or its use and structured around exhibiting ad units within the confines. Current examples include promoted tweets on twitter, sponsored stories on Facebook, and TrueView Video Ads on YouTube.
- Open platforms – are described as the promotion of the same piece of branded content across multiple platforms through some variation of native advertising formats. The subject matter itself lives outside any given website that it shows on and is usually distributed across various sites by a third-party company, meaning that the advertisements appearing on open platforms place there by an advertiser.
- Hybrid platforms – this platform allows the content to be published on platforms to connect a private store where advertisers have the option to bid on inventory of ad space. Advertisements dispersed on hybrid platforms are placed there themselves, and the area is sold to an open platform advertiser.
In recent millennium years, the most notable form of native advertising has been sponsored content. This engages the inclusion of a third party along with a management company or a band company’s relations and promotion activities team in reaching out to well-known third-party content producers on social media, often referred to as influencers, in an attempt to promote their product. Native advertising through sponsored content has become more a more popular on social media platforms due to its cost-effectiveness, time efficiency, and ability to receive instant feedback on the marketability of a product or service.